If anything, Hindi cinema is known for its highly impactful dialogues that stay with us till much later. The recent Rajkummar Rao starrer ‘Chhalaang‘ is one such movie streaming on Amazon Prime Video.
These hard-hitting dialogues are the soul of Indian films. They not just carry forward the conversation of the moment but often string a lot of minute events that would have otherwise gone unnoticed. They are spoken in the context of the present moment but the backdrop has been unfolding for a while. They are sometimes not such great poetic lines with multiple interpretations, but rather just a word or a sentence that we come across quite often. But when spoken in certain situations these one-liners are so much more than their intended meaning.
With Amazon Prime Video’s latest release, “Chhalaang” starring Rajkummar Rao as Mahinder Hooda aka Montu, Nushrat Bharucha as Neelima ‘Neelu’ Mehra, and Zeeshan Ayyub as Inder Mohan Singh we are all set to be blown away by some hard-hitting dialogues. This Hansal Mehta directed movie is a Romantic Drama with certain comic elements. Set in Haryana, the movie is about a very undermined Physical Training Instructor (PTI) who is all set to prove his worth to the new Instructor who believes himself to be a better coach. Taking on a stronger opponent for his self-respect, he pushes himself and his students to the extreme. Filled with some very gripping who-would-win scenes this movie is a 2 hours relief from daily monotony.
As expected, Rajkummar Rao has delivered some very subtle but forthright dialogues. But surprisingly Nushrat Bharucha has also been given some worthy dialogues and performance.
Here are some of the best ones from the movie:
Table of Contents
1. “Tumhaare jaise logon ki problem pata hai kya hai? Chaudhary complex. Insaan banne ki aukaat nahi aur Bhagwan hone ka ghamand paale baithe ho.” – Neelu
(Do you know what your problem is? The Holier than Thou complex. You cannot be a decent human being but you have an ego for a God.)
2. “Madam, naukri pyaari hai par ijjat thodi jyada pyaari hai” – Montu
(Madam, I care for my job, but more for my self respect)
3. “Pyaar hone mein aur pyaar ki gunjaaish hone mein fark Hota hai” – Neelu
(Being in love and being open to the possibility of falling in love are two different things.)
4. “Main toh kabhi hara hi nahi, humesha abandon. Aur khel khatam” – Montu
(I never lost…always abandoned. And game over)
5. “Apni gali mein toh kutta bhi sher hota hai.” – Mr. Singh
(In his own territory, even a dog acts like a lion.)
6. “Sahi bole. Aur socho hum toh hainhi sher. Aur humaari gali mein na master, bahar se aaya sher bhi kutta hota hai. Ghalat gali mein aa gaye ho master. Sikhaayenge, tumhe bhi dum hilana sikhaayenge” – Montu
(And in our territory even lions from foreign territory are mere dogs.)
7. “Kamaal ka bada dil hai tera. Na matlab, apni bhains dooh ke, doodh ubaal ke, saari ki saari malayi de di Singh ko. Ab Singh piyega full cream milk, aur tain piyega double toned milk” – Shukla ji played by Saurabh Shukla
(I must say, you are very generous. You handed the crème de la crème of the school to Singh. Now he’ll enjoy full cream milk and you’ll be stuck with double toned milk.)
8. “Mohobbat mein cheating jayaz hoti hogi Madam, jang mein nahi” – Montu
(Cheating may be fair in love Ma’am but not in war)
9. “Teacher ka kaam hai sikhana. 90 laane waale ko 100 tak toh koi bhi le ja sakta hai. 10 waale ko 40 tak le jaao toh baat hai” – Neelu
10. “Haar-jeet toh lagi rehti hai. Ladayi se pehle faisla kabhi mat sunana, na mukil ko, na khud ko…chahe kitna bhi saaf kyun na dikhayi de raha ho ki haar hogi, faisla to jirah ke baad hi hoga. Beta, jeet aksar unki ho jaya karti hai jo haar manna taal-te chale jaate hain. Bas ek gawaah aur, ek sawaal aur. Bas ek jirah aur. Chhorna mat. – Montu’s Father (Wakeel Sahab)
(You win some, you lose some. But never declare the judgment before the case is over. Neither to your client nor to yourself…no matter how evident your defeat is, judgment takes place only after the argument is over. Son, people who win are often those who keep deferring accepting defeat. All it takes is one more witnesses, one more question. Just one more argument. Don’t quit.)
11. “Humaare desh mein na har koi chahta hai ki unka beta Sachin Tendulkar bane, beti Saina Nehwal bane. Par Sachin aur Saina ka maa-baap koi na banna chahta…..yeh banne k liye inke maa-baap, inke coach, inke PT master banne ki zaroorat parti hai. Akele na ban pata koi. Humaare bacche bhi ban jaayenge, par uske pehle hume banna padega” – Montu
These were some of the intriguing dialogues from Chhalaang, let us know your favourite ones in the comment section below.